RRCQ CODE OF ETHICS
Section 1: Compliance with Code of Ethics
Each member, upon signing an Application for Membership or Renewal of Membership of the RRCQ Inc and being duly elected to general membership of the RRCQ Inc shall, in addition to agreeing to be bound by the Constitution, Rules and Regulations of the RRCQ Inc be also bound by the RRCQ Inc’s Code of Ethics relating to responsible ownership of Rhodesian Ridgebacks, including the keeping, welfare, breeding, selling and disposing of dogs by members to the effect of the terms and conditions set under Section 2 hereof.
ding an image for extra engagement.
Section 2: Code of Ethics and Undertaking
In consideration of the RRCQ Inc electing me to its general membership and approval of renewal of membership from time to time, I pledge to the RRCQ Inc that:
1. I will ensure that at all times all dogs under my control are properly contained within a fenced area or suitable enclosure, properly housed, fed, watered, exercised and receive proper veterinary attention, if and where required.
I will ensure that any Rhodesian Ridgeback under my care will be kept fully leashed, or under effective control at all times when away from home and no dog will be allowed to roam at large.
I will assume full responsibility for my Rhodesian Ridgeback’s welfare and behaviour until its death or transfer to a new home.
I will attempt to find an alternative home for any animal, bred by me or sired by my dog if the breeder not be willing or able to do so, that for whatever reason subsequently needs it.
2. Concern for my Rhodesian Ridgeback will always take precedence over personal gain, profit or glory.
3. I will breed only for the purposes of improving the standard of the breed, and not specifically for the pet market or any other commercial purpose, yet I retain the right of free trade to direct advertise and sell dogs not retained by me for line maintenance purposes.
I will only breed from Dogs Qld, or other equivalent canine controlling body, registered Rhodesian Ridgebacks that conform to the Breed Standard, are believed to be clear from hereditary defects and are mentally and physically sound.
4. I will only breed from any bitch kept or owned by me such that whelping shall occur after the bitch is twelve months of age always recognising that as a larger and often late maturing breed Rhodesian Ridgebacks should optimally not be bred before attaining the age of eighteen months and as a relatively short-lived Breed should not be bred over the age of seven years.
I will endeavour not to breed from any bitch more than once in each period of twelve months provided however that should it be necessary, through extenuating circumstances, to breed a bitch twice within twelve months, I shall rest the bitch for a period of twelve months.
I will obtain veterinary opinion regarding the health of the bitch for breeding should there be any variation from these principles.
5. I will only breed from any dog kept or owned by me such that mating with a bitch will not occur until the dog attains twelve months of age.
I will satisfy myself as to the suitability, breeding and condition of any bitch presented to me and also as to the conditions under which any resultant litter will be reared.
I will endeavour to ensure that the undertakings of this Code of Ethics will be met by them in regard to the bitch and any resultant litter.
6. I will x-ray and grade all breeding stock for Canine Hip Dysplasia and Elbow Dysplasia under one of the following recognised Evaluation Schemes (a) Willis scheme with scoring by AVA or other recognised specialist veterinary radiologist (b) PennHip scheme Regarding the Willis scheme, I will only breed with a dog or bitch who receives a hip score of no greater than 10 (total score) and an elbow score no greater than Grade 1:1. Regarding the PennHip scheme, I will only breed with a dog or bitch within breedable limits as identified through the scheme. I will similarly require than any dog used by me or any bitch that uses my dog will be similarly evaluated for Canine Hip and Elbow Dysplasia. Exception to this will only be made in regard to the use of semen of dogs that predate the implementation of the respective scoring systems in Australia.
I shall carefully examine, or if not competent to do so arrange for the competent examination, of all puppies for Dermoid Sinus a few days from birth and at least twice thereafter before the puppies leave for their new homes.
I shall humanely euthanase any puppy discovered to have Dermoid Sinus if veterinary recommendation is to do so;or arrange for the sinus removal and neutering of the puppy prior to its sale.
I will contract with the new owners of every puppy such that if a sinus is detected after the puppy has been sold arrangements agreeable to both parties to euthanase, if veterinary recommendation is to do so; or neuter be made and highly recommend the owners have appropriate surgery carried out.
I will ensure all new owners are made aware of the facts about sinus, its implications for the Breed and how to detect its presence.
8. I will ensure that any puppy with the following defects is required to be removed from the gene pool a) Ridgeless b) Serious ridge faults c) Blue/Grey (or any other colour of a gross disregard to the Standard).
Any mismarked puppy should be described as such and entered on the Limited Register designating it unsuitable to be bred from. This should be reflected in the price. In this instance puppies must still be registered with (Dogs Qld) or other equivalent State body.
9. I will contract with new puppy owners for the neutering of all puppies not sold as show quality or potential show quality animals having faults including but not exclusive to ridgeless, ridge faults, colour faults or any other factor of gross disregard to the Standard and these puppies will be registered with a(Dogs Qld) or other equivalent State Body Limited Register.
10. I will not knowingly dispose of any dog either by sale, commission or on consignment to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers in Australia or overseas nor directly or indirectly give a dog as a prize or donation in any contest or raffle of any kind.
11. I will ensure that all progeny are registered and transfers to the new owners are completed promptly.
I will not sell or otherwise transfer from my care any puppy under eight weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccination to be given at six weeks of age and the necessary fourteen days to take effect, and I will cause all vaccinations to be done using live virus vaccine.
I will ensure that all persons acquiring dogs from me clearly understand their responsibility for the care and welfare of the animal, as defined in this Code of Ethics.
I will provide to all purchasers of dogs sold or placed by me, written details of all dietary and immunisation requirements and/or an appropriate publication relating such requirements and responsible dog ownership.
12. I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, nor mislead any person regarding the performance of any dog.
I will not malign judges, fellow competitors, owners or breeders by making false or misleading statements about others’ dogs, breeding practices or person.
If I believe it is necessary I will calmly and objectively present any perceived misconduct or violation of this Code of Ethics to an executive committee member.
13. I will accept and comply with this Code of Ethics in conjunction with and in addition to, all current Rules of the RRCQ Inc.
Section 3: Non-compliance with Code of Ethics
1. Any member failing to observe any provision of the Code of Ethics may be dealt with under the Rules of the RRCQ Inc.
2. The RRCQ Inc may not make any decisions whatsoever in any litigation involving members and the purchase of any dog.
3. I undertake to comply with the Regulations and By-Laws relating to the keeping of dogs promulgated by my Local Authority.
Section 4: Amendment of Code of Ethics
This Code of Ethics can only be amended after consultation with members and notice given through the official club newsletter.